Sunday, November 1, 2009

Southern Fried Chicken from the Eastern Suburbs of the Pacific Northwest

Last week I treated myself to a nice dinner at Pomegranate in Redmond, WA. The restaurant is owned by Lisa Dupar, a well-known caterer and fixture in the Seattle culinary scene. I always enjoy open kitchens and Pomegranate's is. As is the catering kitchen adjacent to the seating area. It's live dinner theatre at its best.

I adapted Lisa's Southern Fried Chicken for last night's dinner. 

1 Whole Grown Fryer- cut for frying
Mix together your favorite blend of freshly ground pepper, minced herbs and salt
1 c. buttermilk mixed with 2 eggs
Flour- all purpose
2-3 sleeves of saltine crackers- crushed with a rolling pin until you have coarse crumbs.
Corn, peanut or canola oil for frying in a pan.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Season chicken with your favorite seasoning blend. Dust with flour.

Dip chicken into the buttermilk egg wash.

Roll dipped chicken pieces in the crushed saltines making sure they adhere.

Heat oil in a heavy skillet on medium high heat.

Fry chicken on both sides until golden brown. Keep an eye on it as it browns quickly. Place on baking sheet and bake for 40- 45 minutes until chicken is done.


I served it with roasted broccolini and garlic.

Because I don't like to waste anything in the kitchen, I rendered the chicken fat and skin to make gribbeness. I saved the chicken fat for chopped liver and scarfed down the gribbeness. So good.

No comments:

Post a Comment