Saturday, November 7, 2009

Rainy Saturday

It's been raining hard all day. Cold, hard, windy rain. It's my kind of day because it gives me an excuse to relax and read what I love the most: cookbooks. I just received my copies of The Pioneer Woman Cooks and Steamy Kitchen. The Pioneer Woman Cooks is the most beautiful cookbook I have in my collection- without a doubt. Last night I made a recipe from Steamy Kitchen: Beef and Broccoli. Delicious. Get these books. Now.

Tonight's dinner is about comfort and belly warming. I'm making roast chicken and potatoes, sauteed veggies and Cornbread Yeast Rolls that I read about in this month's Southern Home Living. Yes, I read it. Yes, I live in Oregon. Yes, I still giggle when I read "y'all" in print.

Here's the first rising. Can't you smell the lovely yeastiness?

Second rise after shaping:



Here's the finished product in all its glory! You can see that I already did a QC test- very important before serving. I love these rolls!


Cornbread Yeast Rolls- recipe from Southern Home Living November 2009

Makes 16- 18 rolls depending how small you like them

1 (1/4 oz.) envelope active dry yeast
1 c. warm water (105 degrees- 115 degrees)
1 T. sugar
4 c. bread flower, divided
1/4 c. honey
4 T. butter, melted and cooled
2 large eggs
1 1/4 t. salt
1/4 c. plain yellow cornmeal
2 T. plain yellow cornmeal
1 large egg, beaten
1 T. sesame seeds
1/2 t. freshly ground pepper

1 Stir together yeast, 1 c. warm water and sugar in a 2 c. glass measuring cup. Let stand 5 minutes.

2. Beat yeast mixture and 2 c. flour at low speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer, using dough hook attachment, until combined. Add honey, butter, 2 eggs, salt and 1/4 c. cornmeal. Beat at medium-low speed until well blended, scraping bowl as necessary. Gradually beat in remaining 2 c. flour. Continue beating until a dough forms and begins to pull away from sides of bowl. Dough will be sticky. Beat dough 1 minute.

3. Coat a large bowl with oil, place dough in bowl, turning to grease top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in warm place (85 degrees), free from drafts, 2 hours or until doubled in bulk.

4. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment or silpat. Dust each lined pan with 1 T. cornmeal.

5. Punch dough down, turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead 1 minute. Shape dough into 16- 18 balls and place on prepared baking sheets. Cover with clean kitchen towels and let rise 1- 1 1/2 hours until doubled in bulk.

6. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Gently brush rolls with beaten egg. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and ground pepper. Bake 18-22 minutes or until golden on top and when bottom is tapped they sound hollow. Let cool on baking sheet. Serve immediately.

To make ahead, prepare recipe as directed through Step 5. Cover loosely with plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Chill 24 hours. Uncover and bake as directed.

3 comments:

  1. These rolls look great! Pass the buttah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy, The Park Wife here. Thanks for your kindness (you can be my city food hook-up), I am going to send you an email soon. Looks like you just got started in the bloggy world, let me know if I can help you in any way. Start posting girl, you do good stuff.
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those sound fantastic! Thanks for posting the recipe so that I can gorge myself on yeasty goodness...

    ReplyDelete